Dental Implants on the NHS
Welcome to the TeethWise blog. This will contain dental news and opinions from leading dentists and others within the industry. It is also packed full of marketing tips to help attract more patients to your clinic. Sign up below or follow our Social media profiles to get our updates.
Published On:01-08-2012 by

In summary, it is very difficult to get dental implants funded by the NHS. In practise an NHS dentist will only prescribe dental implants as a last case resort when other replacement methods of replacement such as a dental bridge or dentures are not deemed adequate replacements. To receivedental implants on the NHS, a patient will need to demonstrate a clear medical need for the treatment and their dentist will need to make a case to the local PCT for funding.


* Click the following links for more information on the cost of dental implants in the UK.


The Royal College of Surgeons set out clinical guidance for selecting appropriate patients for receiving treatment with dental implants on the NHS. It is then up to Primary Care Trusts to interpret the clinical guidance and determine patients eligibility for NHS funded dental implants. Firstly, implants will only be funded where dentures or alternative treatments are deemed to be inappropriate. Following are some examples of cases where dental implants may be available on the NHS:


  • There are severe eating or speaking disorders, or psychiatric problems, arising from the current or alternative replacements for missing teeth. Most PCT’s require psychiatric problems to be confirmed by a clinical psychologist.
  • An edentulous (without any teeth) jaw or mouth is resulting in gagging or severe bone loss.
  • A patient has one or two edentulous jaws and is under 45.
  • Teeth are missing due to developmental anomalies such as a cleft palate or congenital disease.
  • As part of reconstructive treatment following severe facial trauma.
  • As part of reconstructive treatment following surgery to the mouth and surrounding tissues for the treatment of malignant disease, where the bone loss is such that only dental implants can be used.


Applications for funding will have to be made to the local PCT who will decide on cases eligibility. If you feel your case is similar to any of those described above, talk your local NHS dentist who will make a case to your local PCT. Alternatively, contact your local PCT for more information.



Comments are closed.

‹‹‹ Previous Post Next Post ›››
Copyright © 2013 Teethwise . All Rights Reserved.