Find a cosmetic or implant dentist near you
- Used for: correcting crooked front teeth and teeth gaps
- Treatment length: 2 months – 3 years
- Cost: £1,000 – £7,000 – Click here to compare costs in your area
This section answers
What is Six Month Smiles?
Six Month Smiles are fast acting orthodontic treatment which focuses on realigning the more visible teeth only. It is a relatively new system which is popular due to the short treatment times involved.
Six month smiles are similar to traditional brace systems and use the same components, however they focus on straightening and realigning teeth for cosmetic purposes rather than fixing deep rooted alignment issues. The materials used however are tooth coloured which makes them more discreet. They achieve quick results by focusing on the teeth that are visible when you smile only. Six month smiles can be fitted by general dentists who have attended the 2 day training course.
What does the procedure involve?
On your first visit, your dentist should assess your teeth and goals and discuss the suitability of the system for you. he will then take an impression of your teeth which will be sent away to have the special braces custom fitted for you. A few weeks later the dentist will receive you fitted braces and attach them to your teeth using an adhesive. You will need to visit the dentist every 4-5 weeks during the treatment for check-ups and small adjustments to the braces. Like with other orthodontic treatments, you should wear a retainer after the treatment.
Like any orthodontic treatment there will be some discomfort when you start the treatment, however they will become more comfortable over time as you get used to the braces. Six month smiles use lower force than other systems so you should experience less pain and discomfort. Also your speech may be affected for the first week or so as you salivate more.
What are the advantages of Six Month Smiles?
- The treatment time is quicker than traditional braces and also than invisible brace systems such as Invisalign. The average treatment time is 6 months.
- The system is quite discreet as it uses tooth coloured wires and brackets.
- They are more comfortable than other orthodontic systems
- It focuses on teeth that are visible and is a good cosmetic alternative
- They are cheaper than other systems
What are the disadvantages of Six Month Smiles?
- The are a cosmetic fix only and are not suitable for more complex cases.
- They are fitted by general dentists not specialised orthodontists. This is fine if you are looking for a cosmetic fix only but you should see a dentist with a special interest in orthodontics if you require more serious realignment.
How much do they cost?
Six month smiles are cheaper than other orthodontic systems. Compare costs of six month smile treatments here – six month smiles cost.
This page has been reviewed by John Renshaw at Oral Care Consulting. (The images on this page are from the Six Month Smiles website)